Otago Neighbourhood Support (ONS) has also partnered with Otago Civil Defence Emergency Management’s Gets Ready database to manage the personal information we collect from people who join ONS. We invite you to share your personal information in order to:
- Provide members with useful information
- Help new members make connections in their area
- Coordinate and connect resources and skills to those in need in the event of an emergency
- Know where NS groups are
- Coordinate street contacts
- Collate data for reporting purposes
The personal information we invite you to share includes your:
- Contact information
- Skills, resources and needs (e.g. those skills or assets you have that may be useful to someone in the event of an emergency. This may include things like being first aid trained or having access to an electricity generator if the power goes out.)
We keep your information safe by storing it in encrypted files and only allowing police vetted NS staff and volunteers to access it. Your passwords are encrypted so no-one can see your password. You, as a user, get to reset your own password. However, Gets Ready is designed to share information in a planned and carefully controlled way so that people are connected in the event of an emergency.
In the event of a Civil Defence, Fire and Emergency NZ, or Police emergency, we may contact you with alerts relevant to your location or circumstance. We keep your information for as long as you keep yourself registered in the system. Once you delete your profile all your information will be removed from the system.
You have the right to ask for a copy of any personal information we hold about you, and to ask for it to be corrected if you think it is wrong and cannot manage it under your own log in. If you’d like to ask for a copy of your information, or to have it corrected, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We believe in a New Zealand where all people can feel safe in their own communities, know their neighbours, and be prepared for whatever Papatūānuku or life throws our way.